A violent fire broke out at the palace where the Lisbon City Hall, the headquarters of the Bank of Portugal, the Fidelidade Insurance Company, the Lezírias Company, the Vapores do Tejo and the headquarters of the Contrato do Tabaco were installed.
The property was not isolated, it was confined by the North, in Capelistas street, today Comércio street, what caused the destruction, total, of the building.
By the way, after the 1863 fire, the insurance company Fidelidade moved to the first floor of the building next to the Corpo Santo Church in Lisbon.
Remember that the first headquarters of Fidelidade had been temporarily in Flores street 6 and then in 1836 in a Nova de El-Rei street 94, however the biggest movement was in the Comércio Square where it had an office on the site of the old Insurance House. In 1848, they moved to Arsenal Street 60.
Book “Grupo Segurador Fidelidade/ 150 anos de História/ 1835-1985” – CHAPAS Club collection
Picture extracted from the book “Grupo Segurador Fidelidade/ 150 anos de História/ 1835-1985” – CHAPAS Club collection